Sunday, July 18, 2010

Writing in Nature



Writing in Nature

While attending my local chapter meetings of Romance Writers of America, I noticed many speakers are asked about their process of writing. We often wonder if the more successful or more prolific author has a secret we have not yet discovered. Many of these authors write every day or almost every day. They might have a particular time or place that they write. Starbucks is mentioned quite often. Others wake up early before work or the kids get up so they have a quiet environment. I found it interesting that one writer checks herself into a hotel room when a deadline is quickly approaching.

I am constantly trying out different locations in search of the best time and place for me to write. Remembering I had once heard that being out in nature enhances your creativity, I decided to write on my porch. Unfortunately, the view pictured is not from my own porch, but from my brother’s deck in Washington State. I live in Arizona and during the first part of summer, I could sit outside early in the morning and work on my book. I did find it a wonderful place for me to be productive. Once the temperatures climbed, it didn’t matter what time I woke up, it was always too hot.

Fortunately, my brother Bob and his wife Beth invited me to their home in the Northwest for a couple of weeks. I could understand why some authors check into hotels. Being away from home keeps you from being distracted by chores or projects that need to be done. The wonderful weather in Washington has allowed me to write outside every morning and their awesome view has added to the whole experience.

So, yes, writing in nature does help enhance your creativity. At least it does mine. So…what am I going to do when I get back to the hot temperatures in Phoenix? I may have to head to the coffee shop in Barnes and Noble, close my eyes occasionally and picture the wonderful view pictured above.

Until next week,

Happy Writing!

Tina LaVon




1 comment:

Donna Del Grosso said...

Nice Post, Tina. I visited my Mom in Law in Haines, Alaska a few summers ago and LOVED it! The temp never rose above 70 and it rained, a lot. But I loved it still. I think of her backyard a lot when I need a boost! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!