Sunday, September 19, 2010

Writing Day After Day - Part 2


Last week I said I was going to search for the elixirs that will keep a writer motivated.

I found a few which helped.

I attended a chapter meeting where I visited with writing friends and then listened to New York Times writer Jennifer Ashley. I have known Jennifer for about eight years. She was just beginning to sell then. She reminds us all that our dreams are reachable. That was a motivator!

I joined a Book-In-Week group and posted my daily successes. That helped. I wrote every day I wasn't with my man. Since he visits from out of town, love takes priority over writing when he's here. I don't regret it at all. Why just write about it, when I can live it?

I started telling myself "I am going to Barnes and Noble to PLAY with my book." Not "I'm going to WORK on my book." I think calling it work takes some of the joy out of writing.

Also, I decided to send off half of my book to some readers who have offered to go over it for me. By doing that, I will be giving myself a deadline. I'll want this last edit of the rest of the book done once they finish the first half. That is my own personal kick in the rear to get me moving faster.

I have also decided to visualize myself making enough money from writing that I can retire from teaching in six and a half years. I picture myself sleeping in and then writing with a huge smile on my face. Now THAT is a motivator!

I hope you find yours as well.

Until next week,
Happy Writing!
Tina LaVon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ANother wonderful post, Tina. My motivator is a contract. :)

Donna Del Grosso said...

Tina-
Great post. I like your motivators as I don't have a contract but pray for one. Sending 1/2 the book to readers is an awesome idea! I'm finally getting the guts to submit to a contest. Wish me luck. Good luck with all your deadlines, I might bug you from time to time to keep you on track. LOL!