October 4-29, 2010
"Deep Point Of View: I've Got You Under My Skin"
by Virginia Kantra
$30 at www.WriterUniv.com
Deep point of view (POV) is the quickest, cheapest tool in the writer's toolbox for shoe-horning your reader into your character's skin. This workshop explains how "close third-person" POV combines the advantages of first-person POV with the versatility and wider camera lens of third-person POV. Elements to consider in wirting deep POV include the character's gender, education level, environment, age, career, and needs and conflicts. Using first and final drafts from Virginia Kantra's own work and examples from various award-nominated and bestselling books, participants will explore:
* How POV is driven by your character's experience and emotions
* When and why deep POV is effective
* How to write it in description, narrative, and dialogue/subtext
* Formatting (which deserves special attention)
* Techniques for switching POV within a scene
* Writing in male POV, including "Virginia's Guide to Guy-Speak"
USA Today bestselling author Virginia Kantra credits her love for strong heroes and courageous heroines to a childhood spent devouring fairy tales. A six-time Romance Writers of America RITA Award finalist, Virginia is the winner of numerous writing awards, including two National Readers' Choice Awards. IMMORTAL SEA, book four in her Children of the Sea series, is a September 2010 release from Berkley.