Sunday, August 16, 2009

Take Time to Have Fun!


As most of you know, I usually put a lot of time into my posts.
I'm either analyzing movies, experimenting with The Secret, giving writing advice,
or trying to make you laugh with The Neurotic Writer.
Today I am basking in the glow of a week of working hard and playing hard.
It was the first week back for the students in my classroom.
Due to circumstances beyond the control of teachers and
administrators at our school, it was one of the roughest beginnings
of a year I have ever been through. I am glad to report things
settled down as they always do.
I realized I was wound too tight this past week, so I took time to play.
I attended a game night/slumber party with nine other writers.
I hadn't been to one of these since I was young.
Spending a whole night just joking, laughing, and yes, drinking,
with the girls was so much fun. I also spent an evening with family
at a little cousin's birthday party. I come from a family where
everyone hugs and kisses hello and goodbye -
even if it takes a half hour because there are so many of us.
Lounging around today, I realized that playing hard and spending
time with family not only relaxed me, but it also recharged my batteries.
I see so many of my writing friends drowning under the pressure
of deadlines. It is so important that we take time to play.
Spend time with people who make you feel good.
People who smile and remind you that life can be soooo good.
Also take time to pamper yourself. Perhaps taking a hot
bubble bath with a candle flickering nearby,
while listening to soothing music is what you need.
Or, maybe you just need a hot fudge sundae. Save the cherry for me.
It's okay to work hard, but don't make it your life.
Remember, no one's final words are going to be,
"I am so glad I wrote those last 100 pages."
I don't know about you, but I want my tombstone to read,
"She lived life her way." Just don't go ordering it now.
I plan to have many years of working hard and playing
hard ahead of me. I hope you do as well.
Until next week,
Happy Writing,
Tina LaVon

No comments: