Sunday, July 12, 2009

THE SECRET EXPERIMENT - Week One




THE SECRET EXPERIMENT
Week One
July 12, 2009



I believe it was two years ago when I first viewed The Secret DVD. My friends and I were intrigued by the concept. Writers tend to have open minds - you never know where the inspiration for your next book may originate. Although the Law of Attraction revealed in the video, based on the bestselling book, may sound New Age, I recognized it as being very close to The Power of Positive Thinking. Norman Vincent Peale's book, The Power of Positive Thinking has sold more than 20 million copies in 41 languages. I wasn't even employed in the sales/business world and I had heard of that concept. If you believe you will succeed, you will. It could also be labeled Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.



I wasn't the only person intrigued by The Law of Attraction. After The Secret caught Oprah's attention it sold millions of copies.



Of course, the book does have it skeptics and critics. I knew there was something to it immediately because the Law of Attraction had already shown itself to me when I bought my condo. The Law basically states the Universe (God, the Heavens, etc...whatever your spiritual belief may be...) will make things happen when you truly expect an event or object will come into your life.



Ten years ago, I picked out the neighborhood I wanted to live in and I knew I wanted a condo. There were only two complexes in this area and I chose the one with an open-floor plan, which was not for sale because the builder had gone under. Peeking through the window of one of the units, I made my decision. I would sell my house and move into an apartment across the street from the complex until it was sold at auction. I had no clue when that might occur, and neither did my realtor, but I was willing to wait.



Over the next few months, I went through a seller's drama. The first attempted sale of my house fell through because the buyer's buyer didn't show up at closing. The second attempt did go through, but the buyer wanted me to rent back the house until the end of the month. Since the condo complex hadn't gone to auction yet, I agreed. THE VERY DAY I was on my way to sign the lease at the apartments, the flags were out announcing the sales office for the condos was open. They didn't have their paperwork to sell yet, so they agreed to rent me the condo until we could close, something I had never heard of before. Then they lowered the price of the unit by $16, 000 even though I had already signed I would pay the higher amount. Then they lowered my homeowners association fee. (Remember this was ten years ago when the housing market wasn't in crisis like today.) Life was great! I knew what I wanted and it did appear as though the Universe/God had paved the way for it all to come my way. It reminded me of the mustard seed of faith mentioned in the Bible.



I have played with the concepts revealed in The Secret over the past few years, but recently I decided I wanted to learn more and record the manifestations I had already witnessed and those yet to come.



I’ll post daily through Twitter http://twitter.com/TinaLaVon
and on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/TinaLaVon#/profile.php?id=1048627641&ref=profile
then go into detail here at Much Cheaper Than Therapy on Sundays.




I hope you will take this journey with me. If nothing else, I think it will be entertaining.
If you haven't read The Secret, I suggest you do.
The Secret is also available on DVD and in audio book version.
Have a magical week,
Tina LaVon

6 comments:

Donna Caubarreaux said...

Very interesting, Tina. Nice to put your face to a picture.

I've read Dr. Norman Vincent Peale since I was a teenager.

Before my hubby and I married, we had a 'life plan'...everything, except the last came to pass, something else offered itself to us, it was similar, but different.

So, I believe that you can 'choose' your destiny, I guess I need to post that NYT's Bestseller somewhere in my office! LOL

Wendy_Ely said...

I've started The Secret and have had two big things happen. I believe in the secret.

Tina, thanks for sharing your story! I was going to email you to ask if anything has happened for you yet but you answered here!

Cherie Lee said...

This is good advice to follow. I had read Dr. Norman Peale's book a long time ago. When "The Secret" came out, I bought it in book form so I could re-read it from time to time. Each reading seem to add something for me to think about.
Cherie

Edie Ramer said...

Tina, thanks for sharing this. I loved hearing about your experience.

Mari said...

Hi Tina, I am also a big believer in the tenets of the LOA. I also enjoy reading books by Abraham Hicks. If you have a chance you should read the books and watch the videos.

Tina Swayzee McCright said...

Thank for posting, ladies.
I did buy a CD by Hicks today. I also listen to The Secret on audio tape so I can multi-task. LOL
Next week I'll discuss how I lost weight using the concept of gratitude.