Thursday, March 5, 2009

Save the Cat by Blake Snyder

I thought I’d bring this review back up from back in December. Laurie Schnebly Campbell mentioned Blake Snyder and his book this last week under Tina’s post about tortured heroes. Tina gave use wonderful examples of what to do and not to do when it came to writing a tortured hero. If you want to get even more in depth, Save the Cat has wonderful examples.

Carol Webb
____________________________________________________________



Okay, this is a book that I stumbled across by accident while I was on the net when I should have been writing. I was amazed I hadn't heard about it, but then I'm not focused on screen plays as I am with writing fiction. But boy, this book is packed full of things for a fiction writer. Period.

Blake Snyder goes into detail on the 10 different genres, your hero of the story and what makes him passive instead of active, story boarding and various other areas. I actually love his technique on doing index cards for story boarding. He also goes into great detail on the 'high concept' catch phrase that seems to be everywhere today.



If you're looking for new techniques and a fresh angle on the writing craft, I highly recommend this book. Mr. Snyder also has his own web page.

No comments: