Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hero Of The Month

A unnamed Southwest Airlines pilot who delayed taking off from LAX so a grieving passenger could make the flight. His grandchild had just been murdered and was being taken off life-support. The grandfather wanted to be able to say goodbye beforehand but the lines and security delayed him.

When he finally cleared security -several minutes after his flight's planned departure - he ran to his terminal wearing only his socks. The pilot and the gate agent were waiting for him.

The pilot had held the plane. "We're so sorry about the loss of your grandson," the pilot reportedly said. "They can't go anywhere without me and I wasn't going anywhere without you. Now relax. We'll get you there. And again, I'm so sorry."

Southwest Airlines is "proud" of their pilot, a man who clearly understands that taking a child off life support has consequences that run deeper than a flight taking off late.

2 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

I've always liked Southwest Airlines above all others. This just give me an even bigger reason to like them. They are definitely an airline with a heart instead of just a hand wanting more money.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

catslady said...

How very touching! I don't travel much but I will remember this story.