Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Writer's Life is Like a Commercial

Several decades ago, there was a commercial on TV. In it, a man walks out of his house. It's dark outside. "Time to make the donuts." In the next frame, he returns (still dark) saying he's made the donuts. The scenes repeat and repeat and repeat. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=petqFm94osQ

Everytime I sit down to write a novel, I feel like that donut maker. Since I work full time, I have to rise early. Very early. The sun isn't even up early. To write.  And there's always writing to be done. Sentence, paragraph, page, scene and chapter. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

And even when I have to get ready for work, I think of the scene while I'm dressing, feeding the cats and dog, showering and eating breakfast. I think of the scene while I'm driving, badging into my work building and organizing my day.

Rain or shine, sleet or hail, it's time to write the words that make a sentence that make a paragraph that make a scene that make a chapter that make a book.

And some of my books have had over 50 chapters in them.

Even if I write one chapter a day, that's fifty days without rest from the book. And that's not counting edits and revisions. Think about it when you decided your next project. Be in love with what you're creating and look forward to spending time with them. You're going to be there a while.

Whoops, there goes the alarm. Time to make the donuts, er, write the chapter:-)

No comments: