Sunday, January 27, 2013

Promotion - Your Secret Tool



This month we are discussing promotion. Aside from word-of-mouth and a publisher fully backing your book, it is difficult to track down what helps your sales and what doesn't. I do know what will hurt your sales and that is acting pushy and rude at booksignings or conferences. This should be obvious, but I have met a couple of writers I stopped reading because of their attitudes at conferences. In both cases, I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first time, everyone has a bad day; but the second time, I realized I didn't want to remember their attitudes while reading their books, so I stopped reading them.

Readers who are fans, or who might turn out to be a fan, want an enjoyable experience. They want to meet an author who smiles and wants to meet them as well. So, writers, smile and ask your reader questions at booksignings. What do they like in a book and what don't they like? You might learn something to improve your craft and your sales.

Until next week,
happy writing and reading.
Tina Swayzee McCright


No comments: