Sunday, February 26, 2012

Judi McCoy

Many of us in the writing community are still in shock of the recent death of Judi McCoy. She had been a member of our blog, Much Cheaper Than Therapy, until her schedule became too hectic. She was also a long distance member of our Romance Writers of America local chapter Valley of the Sun. For the past nine years she flew to Arizona to attend the Chocolate Affaire Booksigning and then spent a few extra days in town to share her expertise with our chapter members at the next meeting. She was always willing to speak about any topic we suggested. What touched me the most about Judi was her sincere concern about her readers. I watched her speak to them about their interests and knew she truly cared. She once said she didn't want me to buy her books unless I really wanted to read them. She wasn't in it for the quick sale.

"It is always a great blow to lose a member of the romance writing community. Each author brings their own unique vision and voice to their stories, and Judi was certainly no exception. We will especially miss her here on the blog, where she contributed so many cute posts about her dog walker series. She was a caring person and contributed profits from her books toward the assistance of dogs in need...I think that truly reflects what kind of person she was. I met Judi many times, and she was always kind, gracious, with a great sense of humor. She will be missed, although a part of her will always remain within her stories. She cannot be forgotten. With Deepest Sympathy, Kathryne Kennedy."

The Chocolate Affaire won't feel quite the same without her witty retorts and laughter.
I hope those of you who knew her will keep precious memories close to your hearts. I hope all of us will remember that life is short and cherish those we love.

5 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

She was an inspiring author and sounds like she was a very special person as well. She will be deeply missed in the writing community. I have her latest book in my TBR stack and look forward to reading it with both fondness and sadness.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Anonymous said...

Judi was a hoot and you could always count on her to make you laugh. Her warm heart and wit will be sorely missed by everyone whose lives she touched. Goodbye friend. RIP.

Mackenzie McKade said...

Humble and authentic are two words I'd use to describe Judi. She cared about her fellow writers, her friends, and was always willing to extend a helping hand.

Her bright and charismatic spirit will remain with us always. I, for one, will miss her sorely.

RIP my dear friend.

Susan Yarina said...

Judi was pure fun. Even when we were doing workshops for aspiring writers we were having a ball. In Florida she was game when I asked her (among others) to join me at Fish Bones and eat 'gator tail, she was in with a big laugh and thanks for the opportunity. I write cat cozy mysteries and she wrote the dog walker mysteries so we became known as the cat lady and the dog lady whenever we signed together. I will miss her very "lets all do this together" ways and feel I've lost a good friend and one of my "everyday heroes". She was never shy about speaking her mind and we both loved the "what you see is what you get" way about each other. I will miss her forever. Susan Yarina

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Thank you for putting this post together, Tina.