Sunday, July 31, 2011

More Tips on Character Names



The past few weeks I have been discussing where writers find names for their characters. I almost forgot to share some helpful hints. For starters, you don't want all or many of your characters names starting with the same letter. It helps to avoid confusion and aids in giving every character their own, separate, identity. A friend once told me she writes the alphabet and when choosing a first or last name she marks the first letter off her alphabet. I found this useful.


The next piece of advice came from another writing friend who read my book, Liquid Hypnosis. She told me she is Dyslexic and names which end the same confused her because she sometimes starts at the end of a name. I believe I had a few characters whose names ended in S.

My next book has a character whose last name is Stevenson, so I need to make sure no one else's name ends with son too.


I hope you find this advice useful as well.

Until next week,

happy writing!

Tina LaVon

No comments: