Sunday, November 7, 2010

Janet Evanovich on Writing



Janet Evanovich on Writing.

I believe it is important to learn your craft. Once
you know how to write, what works and what
doesn't, you can then add your own style. Your own
spin to it.

I picked up a copy of How I Write by Janet
Evanovich with Ina Yalof, a writing instructor
at Dartmouth College. Like many of you,
Janet is one of my favorite authors. She makes
her characters come to life and I wanted
to learn her secrets.

In the book, I believe it is Ina who says,
"You must bring your characters to life, make
them believable and worth caring about. The
deeper and richer your characters are, and
the more emotion you put into them, the more
your story will come to life."

How do you go about "bringing them to life?"
Janet says she people watches. She pays
attention to the various people she comes across.
She puts them into her imagination and lets
them run wild. She stores up everything she
sees and hears, knowing it can find its way
into one of her novels.

So, our homework this week is to people watch.
I will try to find interesting bits of information
to share with you next week. I hope you will do the same.

Until Next Week,
Happy Writing!
Tina LaVon


No comments: