Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Heroes

What do we look for in our characters as writers or readers? I know when I read a book, I’m always attracted to the one person who sacrifices something they deeply care for to save another person or crucial situation.

I thought I’d take a look on the net and search for everyday heroes. Some might spur me on to write about them as characters in a new book, but some might just make me grateful that there are people out there who are willing to make deep sacrifices for someone other than themselves.
I decided to celebrate those everyday people by finding a Hero of the Month. I’ve stumbled upon far more people than I ever thought I would, so it was very difficult to find that special person until I read about a man in New York City:

A teenager fell off a subway platform right onto the train tracks with an oncoming train fast approaching. A man saw what had occurred and at first thought he might be able to pull the teenager up off the tracks, but then realized he didn’t have time. So instead he dove on top of the teenager and pushed him down on the track.

According to reports, the train’s operator saw them and applied emergency brakes, but not quickly enough. Two cars passed over both men with only a few inches to spare.

I don’t know about you, but to me that truly is a heroic act. Thank you, Wesley Autrey.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that with us Carol. It makes you realize there are still heros that walk among us and not just on television.