Sunday, March 1, 2015

Do We Need A Hero?

I finished watching my recording of the season finale of How to Get Away with Murder and I felt conflicted. I enjoyed the twists and turns. I have since the beginning, but I have been losing interest in the series. After the finale, I was leaning towards not watching it again. On the other hand, I do enjoy those twists and turns. I thought about the shows I usually record. They are crime dramas with a hero or heroine. The good guys go after the bad guys and win. I was left wondering whether or not a show needs a hero?

Romance writers and readers are used to having a hero and a happy ending. We leave our books or television with a sense that good overcame evil and all is right with the world.

Then I remembered Breaking Bad. I believe the character development was superb. We watched the nice guy, a teacher, turn bad for good reasons. Eventually, he had to admit he reached a point where he enjoyed being bad because he was good at it. But even when he was bad, he still protected Jesse and his family, including his brother-in-law, who worked for the DEA.

I get the impression that Annalise on How to Get Away with Murder would throw anyone under the bus if it fit into her scheme to win. I feel sorry for the character she had affair with. He seems to be a nice guy who has suffered the most from knowing her. The students who work for her have been dragged to the dark side as well. I feel sorry for them, but that isn't enough to keep me watching. I need a hero on this show. It is a popular series, so I am sure many people do not agree with me. We are all entitled to our own opinion.



No comments: