Sunday, June 8, 2014

What Influenced You?



This weekend, I found the second season of Murder She Wrote in a bookstore. I have to admit, while growing up I watched a lot of television, which included the Jessica Fletcher character pictured above. I also enjoyed Diagnosis Murder, The Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Charlie's Angels, and Matlock. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few titles. Don't get me wrong, I did read, but for every one book I read, I watched twenty mystery shows with my mother. I still enjoy watching these reruns over and over again.

I discovered I had a strong desire to create stories in my early forties. As Jessica says, "You're never too old to start writing." I had always felt like there was something missing in my life and when I put pen to paper that feeling went away. These shows I watched greatly influenced my writing. I'm not satisfied with a story unless it has a mystery element. I also find I'm not comfortable with writing extreme violence or sex scenes. I blame that on watching too many reruns of the Brady Bunch. I'm joking. I feel the enjoyment I found watching family type mysteries, also touched me in a way that I find myself replicating their tone.

Sometimes when my mother visits, we watch Matlock together and I smile. I guess I can thank my father for my writing genes and my mother for the type of stories I write.

What influenced your writing?

Until next week,
happy reading and writing.
Tina Swayzee McCright

No comments: