Thursday, May 17, 2012

Advertising: Facebook or Google Anyone?


As a writer, I decided to try my hand on doing an ad on Facebook and Google for my book, Shrouded in Darkness. I thought I'd try something different. I wasn't expecting much. The book is self-published, so I can easily track certain advertising projects I do if I isolate them over a period of time.
What I like about both advertising venues is that you can either pay by per click or by how many impressions you get. Also, you can narrow your audience or widen it by using key search terms or as for Facebook by a person's likes.

I didn't get one sale from either. I did get a great deal of traffic through Google. Actually double from Facebook with the same amount spent on both. Granted, my budget was limited and I only paid $50 for each ad.
It seems I'm not the only one that didn't do well on Facebook. I just heard on Wednesday that General Motors, a company with big advertising bucks is pulling $10 million in ads from Facebook. I find the timing strange, days away from Facebook's anticipated IPO. GM isn't the only company pulling their campaign from the social media giant. Granted, the amount is small compared to GM's and Facebook advertising dollars. Maybe they hope for better negotiations once Facebook goes public? Who knows...






So have you had any luck with Facebook or Google Ads? Feel free to leave a comment, or better yet, take the polls on the side panel.


1 comment:

Connie Flynn said...

I tried Google advertising a while back and was so confused by their various pages and links that I was never even able to FIND my ad after I placed it. Now you'd think that the experience of someone who, well, actually knew what they were doing would be different. Oh, say, someone like you. But it seems they were identical. I didn't make a single sale either. Thanks for setting up the poll. I'm going to Facebook and tweet it.
It's great food for thought.