Wednesday, March 14, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Trivia


I don't know about you, but when I think of St. Patrick's day I think of four-leaf clovers, green beer and corned beef and cabbage. I would think I would know more about the day when it comes around every year. This year, I thought I'd do a little digging and find out a little more about this Irish holiday.

First off, I thought lets try something easy, like what actually is a Leprechaun after all? I knew he was of small stature. I had completely forgotten he was thought of as a shoemaker. I didn't know that before the 20th century, it was thought that he generally wore red and not green. I'm not sure why the colored changed over the years.

Below are a couple other interesting facts about St. Patricks Day:

How many americans are named Patrick? 1 in 160

Is corned beef and cabbage a traditional meal in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day? Hardly. Some people do eat the meal, but they don't eat it much. AND it positively isn't the Irish national dish.

Four leaf clover? I'm sure you know it's for good luck but did you know Children in the Middle Ages believed if they carried a four-leaf clover, they would be able to see fairies?

There are approximately 10,000 three-leaf clovers for every lucky for-leaf clover.

It's been said that Ireland is home to more four-leaf clovers than any other place, giving meaning to the phrase "the luck of the Irish."

So this St. Patrick's day, I hope you have the "luck of the Irish"!

No comments: