Sunday, May 11, 2014

Writing With Emotion



If you are like me, Mother's Day brought with it a mixture of emotions. My daughter prepared dinner for my husband me Saturday night. Watching her cook, in the home she decorated, filled my chest with pride. Of course, we reminisced. I laughed while telling her husband stories about her childhood. Later, she gave me a coffee cup with a sun border. She had written the lyrics to "You Are My Sunshine" on the coffee cup. I remembered gazing into her eyes and singing that song to her when she was a baby. Tears welled in my eyes.

Today, my husband and I took my mother out for a late lunch. This time I remembered being the child. We pulled out our iPhones and shared family pictures stored on Facebook. All those yesterdays flooded back. My heart ached for my brothers living in different states. I don't see enough of them.

Holidays give us a chance to get in touch with our emotions and to be grateful for the people in our lives. As writers, it is our job to create worlds in which our characters feel those same emotions. If we do our job well, our readers won't have to wait for holidays to laugh, love and cry; they can open the pages of a romance novel.

Until next week,
happy reading and writing.
Tina Swayzee McCright

No comments: