Sunday, June 19, 2011

Challenges Are a Good Thing



You are probably wondering why I have a picture of cappuccino and candy with a blog post about challenges. I have learned the best thing for me to do when I have a challenge is to relax, preferably with a cup of coffee and something sweet. I have a Type A personality, which most people would not suspect. Over the years, I have learned to control the raging beast inside. I've made it a point to let life happen and not get upset whenever possible.

When my pulse races and I'm afraid my blood pressure will get too high, I meditate. I also look for the positive in any situation. I once read that there is an imaginary circle around you representing what you can handle in any given situation. New challenges widen the circle making many more events manageable.

Lately, I have been faced with challenges, which have turned into positive learning opportunities. Last night the Irish Charmer and I got married. (No, I did not wake up the day after I got married to go my blog. :) This is a scheduled post.) My focus over the past few weeks has been to turn the wedding into more of a party. By not having certain expectations, I have found the event more enjoyable and friends and family have surprised me with their kindness.

While preparing for the big day, my upstairs neighbor's pipes have leaked through my bathroom ceiling for the third time. I definitely had to meditate over this one. My tendency is try to control the situation and resolve everything immediately. My fiance stepped in to help and I have discovered how great he will be in an emergency situation. He is intelligent and calm. Qualities I respect. Also, by not taking charge myself, everything is falling into place. In the end, the situation will finally be resolved and I will have a nicer ceiling. It doesn't have to happen today.

So, while I am planning for my wedding and watching the paint fall from my bathroom ceiling, I received an adjusted tax statement from the AZ Dept. of Revenue and due to the high volume of calls, I can't get through to a live person. Apparently, they are not recognizing that I did pay my taxes through my non-writing career because they are looking at a tax ID number and not my social security number. In the past, I would have been extremely upset and ranting, but I have decided this can wait until after the wedding. I have learned to prioritize and put some things aside until later when it can be dealt with in a more relaxed manner.

Looking over the past week, I am amazed by how I have managed to stay sane with so much going on. I am learning to allow others to help - something new to me these past few years - and to let some things, although important, to take a backseat for awhile.

Of course, meditating more often is helpful and I'll blog about that another time.

Until next time,
happy writing!
Tina LaVon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that with us Tina. And you looked amazing and calm during your wedding. :) ANother toast to you and Pat. :)