Thursday, March 22, 2012

The More the Merrier, by Caris Roane

I’m an intuitive writer who enjoys bringing form to all the wonderful chaos.

Yet each time I bring ‘form’, the chaos tends to expand, bouncing from this idea to the next, to the next, and then to the next other.

Which means that the part of me that values structure, attempts once again to rein in all that chaos.

And so my delightful cycle goes, round and round.

However, the benefit for me as a working writer, a writer with commitments to publishers and to fellow authors, is that the ideas tend to multiply, shouting, ‘the more the merrier’.

At least, that’s the call of 2012.

The last three years have been fascinating…and difficult.

2010…just writing, 3 big books, Guardians of Ascension, joy of joys.

2011…Borders closes, shelf-space shrinks, and discoverability shifts. What’s an author to do? Learn to Blog, Tweet, Facebook, Website, Goodreads and anything else that stumbles across the working author’s path.

2012…time to write more than ever, time to prep a backlist, time to self-publish smaller works in order to build an online presence more thoroughly, time to examine when and how to offer ‘free’ books, sell ‘$.99’ books, and then adjust the price to reflect just how much work has really gone into that project.

Life has become so much more complicated for the author looking to build an audience, whether in a bookstore, a library, on the shelves at the supermarket, or online in all the various digital sales outlets.

But as I launched into this year, as I faced this year’s unique challenges, what has arrived, all from that intuitive author-self, are a dozen ideas for novels, novellas, category-length works, maybe even poetry if the mood strikes.

But in the end, all I will say is this…the more the merrier.

More writing, more publishing, more online platform building. Yes, the more, the merrier.

Many Blessings,

Caris

www.carisroane.com and carisroane@gmail.com

2 comments:

Kim Watters said...

I know what you mean Caris. And just when you think you've got it handled-bam--something else pops up. Isn't the publishing world grand? :) But I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. (most days anyway) Thanks for sharing.

Caris said...

Hi, Kim,
It's an amazing ride, right now! These last three years have been some of the most challenging of my life...but I have to say that the writing is such a rewarding experience at this point, truly amazing, that it makes all the work worthwhile!

Blessings,
Caris